“Tampa Bay’s most seasoned and professional original singer/songwriter.” – MusicTampaBay.com
A distinctive acoustic guitar style with the resonate growl of a baritone voice is reason enough to listen to the music of Fremont John. Add to it his penchant for taking the classic songs we all know and creating them in his own style and you have a captivating show of musical ability. Developing his musical talents since age 5, he’s played the music of the classical greats to the rock & roll hall-of-famers and now pen’s his own music with the richness of his life experiences weaving a variety of styles into his own.
As an electric guitar rock-n-roller during his early career Fremont John toured extensively throughout the Midwest with his band InnerVision. Taking a break from regular performance and touring for nearly 25 years while he honed his business skills in the banking and environmental business, Fremont John continued to perform sporadically at venues throughout Michigan while writing some of the songs that became part of his first CD, ACOUSTIC THUNDER, released in 1999. That same year Fremont John returned to full time performance, now honing a professional music career on the stages of the popular Key West venues. He continues to be a favorite both solo and trio performer at Sloppy Joe’s, The Bull, Virgilio’s and Willy T’s in Key West where he still does a monthly tour.
Record producer Larry Baeder, wowed by FJ’s songwriting, initiated a collaboration with deeply talented seasoned musicians and recording technicians in NYC’s Pyramid Studio in 2004. The 2005 indie CD release of TIMELINE included Richard Crooks (Dr John, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan) on drums, Fernando Saunders (Lou Reed, Pat Benatar, Jeff Beck, Jan Hammer) on bass, Charlie Giordano (Bruce Springsteen, Pat Benatar) adding keyboard, Crispin Cioe (Joe Cocker, Rolling Stones) on sax, with Larry Baeder (James Montgomery, Carly Simon, Apollo Theater House) adding electric guitar licks. This collaboration resulted in a national radio campaign with airplay in many US cities and global airplay via hundreds of Internet stations. The CD received strong reviews in the industry and continues to enjoy strong sales at live shows and online.
GUITAR SONGS, the first all-instrumental effort, was brought on by years of requests from fans for “more guitar!”. The CD features Fremont John’s identifiable melodic and distinctive acoustic style that captivates his live audience. Tampa Bay’s premier online music e-zine, The Bay Buzz (www.thebaybuzz.org) writes, “John’s sound is clean and his acoustic lead tone is wonderful; clear and crisp but also warm. And then, “If you enjoy melodic acoustic guitar, buy this disc.
“A good instrumental CD is difficult to make but this one (Guitar Songs) is excellent.” – Pete Gallagher, WMNF 88.5FM, Tampa, FL
Fremont John’s solo live performance is a relaxed and comfortable way to kick back and enjoy the music. Whether it’s a remake of a classic or an original selection, the guitar work is sure to please and the stories surrounding the songs are delightfully entertaining. When backed by a rhythm section for a trio sound it’s sure to be a rocking good time as he incorporates an ‘electric’ sound into his trademark Blue Taylor acoustic guitar. With an uncanny ability to ‘read’ his audience, Fremont John tailors his vast musical selections to the mood of his listeners like a master entertainer.
On Indie CD number 4 he is once again collaborating with some of music’s most notable players. CONTRARIAN, released in mid-2013, is a collection of uniquely arranged classic hits and well penned originals ranging from foot tapping rock to thought provoking ballads, and of course, the impressive guitar work.
He returns to his home in Northern Michigan annually to host the Fremont John and Friends Concert to benefit the local food bank. Last year’s show raised over $18,000 and took in over 1,000 lbs of food to benefit the hungry in Mason County. A full stage show with a 9 piece backing line up has entertained his home town audience since 2010. He is now bringing this full show to stages in Louisville, KY and St Pete Beach, FL.
Fremont John has received many accolades from industry notables to his ‘Contrarian’
fan club. His uniquely down to earth and easy-going style makes him a sought after performer across the country
Points of Interest:
Out of the music business for over 20 years to raise a family and pursue other careers, F.J. was no longer in the network, when he began again in his late 40’s. He was starting from scratch when he set out to do what he could with his music and to crack or even break the “glass ceiling” of age.
Through his perseverance and songs like “Timeline” and “Back In The Game”, Fremont stands as an example encouraging others to believe in themselves and live their dream. Additionally, Fremont
• Is #1 Indie Artist in his home market, Tampa Bay, for over 3 years per ReverbNation.com,
• Was #2 Jazz Artist in Tampa Bay market for over 2 years. Chick Corea held #1.
• Achieved a top 2013 ranking of #5 Indie Artist in USA on the ReverbNation chart and, #7 Globally,
• has 3 CDs of music currently airing on Pandora Radio,
• closed out 2013 by playing New Year’s Eve to a packed house at Sloppy Joe’s Bar, Key West
• completed the “Contrarian” CD in mid-2013 which, was submitted for a Grammy and features the following world-class musicians:
• Fernando Saunders – bass (Lou Reed, Jeff Beck/Jan HammerGroup, Heart, Pat Benatar)
• Ivan Bodley – bass (Sam Moore, Gloria Gaynor, band for Broadway’s “Rock of Ages”)
• Richard Crooks – drums (Dr. John, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon)
Fremont John is commonly asked what big name artists he has played with but, he has always been a solo artist, never a sideman. However, he regularly works with the sidemen of the greats. In addition to those appearing on “Contrarian”, other world-class players include:
• Rob Leon – bass (Dave Brubeck, The Band, Todd Rundgren)
• Roger Tarczon – drums (David Crosby, Bobby Womack, Taylor Hicks)
• Crispin Cioe – sax (The Stones, Joe Cocker, James Brown, Cold Play)
• Charlie Giordano – keys (E-Street Band, Pat Benatar)
• Larry Baeder – guitar and producer (Livingston Taylor, Carly Simon, James Montgomery)
• Terry Plumeri – bass (world renown composer, conductor, musician)
• Lisa Lowell – vocals (Springsteen, Poindexter)
• Sherryl Marshall – vocals (Springsteen, Poindexter)
• James Earl Ashton, F.J.’s brother – keys (Jack McDuff, Urbie Green, Rare Earth)